/ Assessment Only Route
Essential Requirements to be considered for the AO route
- GCSE Maths and English for Secondary, GCSE Maths and English (plus Science for Primary teachers) at Grade 4 (previously grade C) or above (or equivalent).
- A degree from a UK university (or equivalent).
- A contract of employment as a teacher, either full-time or part-time, in the subject for which you wish to gain QTS. (Candidates on a temporary one-year contract are eligible to apply).
- Have been employed by your present school for at least 12 months.
- Primary trainees: Experience of having undertaken the full responsibilities of a teacher in a Primary school, teaching the full curriculum across the age range for which you are seeking. assessment, for at least two years (or equivalent if part-time).
- Secondary trainees: Experience of having undertaken the full responsibilities of a teacher in a Secondary school, teaching the subject across the age range for which you are seeking assessment, for at least two years (or equivalent if part-time). (Colleagues who only teach a subject at Key Stages 4 and 5 should have experience in a post 16 setting for one of their experiences).
Interview and assessment of suitability
The potential candidate will be interviewed to ascertain the following:
- That all relevant documentation (such as original certificates and safeguarding documentation) is in place.
- Competency in the classroom across two consecutive key stages as measured against the Teachers’ Standards.
- That satisfactory evidence can be presented against all Teachers’ Standards.
- That a second school placement has been undertaken.
- An audit will be carried out in English and mathematics as part of the interview process.
The Final Assessment
The Final Assessment visit will involve verifying the candidate’s ability to meet, and continue to meet, all of the Teachers’ Standards for the award of Qualified Teacher Status. This will involve the following:
- Examination of evidence presented against each of the Teachers’ Standards.
- Assess for continued competency in the classroom across two consecutive key stages as measured against the Teachers’ Standards. Discussion with mentor regarding progress.
- Discussion with candidate on selected Teachers’ Standards.
A fee of £1750 is payable following the completion of the final assessment.